Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The F Word

As a women and gender studies major, I know things just get more shocking, I find it (almost) outrageous when young women in my classes don't take on the term feminist. While, yes, I understand that when people think of feminism they think of bra-burning, man hating, bull dykes it is important to remember that it is not 1973 anymore. That wave of feminism has passed and unless your big summer plans are to attend the Michigan Wymn's Festival then that's not the type of feminism you're going to be involved in.

Feminism is solely about the fight for equal rights for all in America and moreover the world. I cannot imagine my life if it weren't for Feminism and quite frankly don't want to most of the time. Feminism has changed the way I see inequalities in everyday life and, no, being an outspoken feminist has not made me any friends but it has given me a sense of direction in my life and a sense of importance.

Sadly, though, not all women feel this way; in a class I'm taking this semester (previously called sex and public policy, but now called gender and public policy) I have been regularly belittled and made fun of (yes, this is a class at a public university) for my stance on women's rights, don't ask don't tell, and the ERA. Not by the men in the class but by the young women in the class; why are women still doing this to one another? Why are you angry that someone wants to take a stand for your rights? I cannot understand this blind hatred of feminism that women take on.

Anyway, that is not important what is important is Take Back the Night. For those of you who don't know what TBtN is this is a great place to start. Most, sadly I cannot say all, college campuses do activities that are in accordance with take back the night annually. The time is coming soon (the week of Oct. 11) for anyone who wants to get involved or put together a march, rally, or informational table on your college campus! Take back the night hasn't even started yet and I have already had some very moving and important experiences, and I hope that you will get involved too.

No comments:

Post a Comment